12/16/2007

A theft and I'm stuck in Iquitos

Well, the first unfortunate event (I suppose I should say involuntary) has occurred. My IPOD was stolen. It was a few years old and I was planning on replacing it upon my return to the US, but it still really ticks me off. It isn't even the financial loss. Those that know me know how important music is to me and the loss of the ability to listen to music is a very serious matter. Made even more serious by the fact that when it was stolen, I was on my way to a boat which I was to be on for 4 days as I traveled to Yurimaguas, Peru. The delay caused by my dealing with the stolen IPOD caused me to miss the boat to Yurimaguas and I am now unsure what I am going to do. The next boat isn't for a few days and I am ready to leave Iquitos. What a bummer. Anyways, one of the joys of traveling without an itinerary is that little events like this really don't throw off any grand plan. I can work around this, I just don't yet know how.


One thing I haven't mentioned yet is all the mototaxis in Iquitos. They are basically rickshaws attached to a motorcycle. They are very noisy and seem to be rather dangerous, but are the only way to get around town. It is also amusing to see them when it rains. I took the photo below as I was riding in one during a downpour. The driver left a couple inches just below the roof and just above the top of his tarp to see. Luckily he didn't hit anything.

No comments: