2/06/2008

Machu Picchu, Peru


I was thinking about what to write about Machu Picchu and I really don´t know what to say. It´s Machu Picchu, one of the 7 Wonders of the World, probably best to not really say much. That being said...

As I was leaving Aguas Calientes to head up to the site, I ran into Alex, a German from the hostel in Arequipa. He was with 3 Chileans and I decided to tag along with their group. After getting some advice from good friends who had visited Machu Picchu a few years ago, I had planned on taking the bus up, but after joining up with this group decided to make the trek up the mountain. Basically a series of stairs and switchbacks for an hour and a half that completely wiped all of us out. But after getting to the top and seeing Machu Picchu spread out in front of us, we all forgot about our aching legs. I thought it might be a bit of a let down since I have seen many pictures of the site in the past, but it was still amazing. I could not believe that I was actually there.


About midway through the visit, the clouds rolled in and a deluge of rain soaked us all (Sierra Designs rain jackets do not hold up very well after being subjected to a downpour for over two hours, in case you were in the market for a rain jacket). Although irritating, it definitely gave us a different perspective on the site and added to its mysticism.


More Machu Picchu pictures in the Peru folder at: http://picasaweb.google.com/jmellgren

No comments: